Saturday, May 03, 2008

The Big Apple -- Part 1

I had to skip work today because the dreaded gastroenteritis has hit me, and I don't want to get all the Heme-Onc kids sick (I'm cross-covering for an intern this weekend). I've been pretty much useless today, so since I've had a nice little nap, I feel that I should do something relatively constructive like blog about our trip.

Sunday
Our plane was an hour and a half delayed in taking off from the airport, so we were late in getting to NYC. When we finally landed and got our bags, we took a car service from the airport to Times Square. Scary!! The driver talked on his cell phone and was yelling in Arabic most of the time, and I was so thankful that we had seatbelts on! He was definitely not paying close attention to the road, but we arrived safely in one piece. After getting settled in, we decided to walk around Times Square for a bit and ended up having dinner at John's Pizzeria; the pie was delicious, and Hubby got to have one of his favorite beers that he can only find in the Northeast. After dinner, we continued our exploration by foot and made stops at both the M&M store as well as the Hershey store. We finally got tired and headed back to the hotel where we slept like babies; I was really surprised how quiet the room was considering we were facing 7th Avenue.




The wind was crazy!
My boy loves chocolate. :)


Monday

We got up that morning, had breakfast at the hotel, and headed out for our Foods of New York tour. Our tour guide was very interesting, and we spent over 3 hours wandering around the west side of Greenwich Village and tasting all sorts of different foods. We had a slice of New York style pizza from Joe's Pizza, samples of fresh bread, pesto, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar from O & Co, a cheese/ meat/ bread/ olive sampler from Murray's Cheeses, chocolate-covered pecans and almonds sold at this really cool herb store called Aphrodisia, chocolate chip cookies from Milk and Cookies, Thai chicken dumplings from Lime, and a final slice of pizza from Bleeker Street Pizza. We also learned quite a bit about local history and architecture and had such a blast! After the tour was over, we walked over to Chelsea Market; unfortunately, we weren't able actually to visit the Food Network, but we did see some really cute shops. I would totally shop there if I lived in New York! We easily walked over 5-6 miles that day, so despite all our snacking for lunch, we had still worked up a good appetite for dinner, so we walked up to Hell's Kitchen and had dinner at Uncle Nick's Greek Cuisine. I had some of the best gyros I've ever had, and Hubby enjoyed some lamb kabobs while we were both introduced to Greek wine. So good!

Hungry at the beginning of the food tour


Bleeker Street Pizza was a great way to end the tour.

These cupcakes from Chelsea Market were precious!



Tuesday
Our anniversary was here! We spent the morning shopping; I managed to find three pairs of petite pants that fit me, and (joy of joys!) they were all on sale. I was so happy! :) Then we went to what we are now referring to as the biggest rip-off of NYC, the Empire State Building. We got suckered into this thing called the NY Skyride; it turned out to be a Kevin Bacon-narrated movie attached to an inside roller coaster simulator. I got extremely nauseated at the end of the ride and took almost 30 minutes before I felt back to normal. :-p After visiting the top of the building, we walked back to the hotel for a nap before dinner. We had dinner at this extremely romantic restaurant called One If By Land, Two If By Sea. Hubby had the quickly seared buffalo rib eye, the beef wellington, and the dark chocolate souffle with rocky road garnish; I had wild mushroom and Parmesan crumble, the cushion of veal with butternut squash and broccolini, and the warm chocolate tart. All of the food was absolutely amazing, and my mouth is watering right now just thinking about it. We had an amazing bottle of French Bordeaux wine, and the service was superb. I will remember that dinner for a long time!



So in love




More to come shortly ...

No comments: