Thursday, May 22, 2008

Worse still

So just when I thought things were heading in the right direction, I got a new blow today. Hubby and I watched CSI last night, so I spent at least half the night dreaming I was at work but had to do some CSI-like things on one of my patients. It was truly bizarre. I woke up this AM with no voice but a slightly improved cough, so I decided to tough it out and go to work.

On the drive in, I began to regret the decision. I had no voice to order my regular coffee, but at least the Starbucks ladies had a vague clue what I was ordering. My checkout started off with, "This little guy needs an LP ..." which of course I proceeded to miss completely while I sweated profusely and snot poured out of my nose (I was wearing a mask, so no one knew). I then proceeded to pick up a chart for a 15 year old who busted his lip open at school when he tripped and his grill ripped his lip WIDE open. He actually had 2 grills (upper and lower), but his wise mother told him to kiss the grills goodbye after today's incident. With a little supervision from the fellow, I sewed up that laceration very nicely (if I do say so myself) and saw several more patients before finally admitting how awful I felt. I had another resident that I really trust look in my ears because I noticed that my right one was starting to hurt and that I was having a really hard time hearing out of it. Oh yeah, this pediatrician has an awful ear infection!! It's the second one I've had since start residency, both of them associated with horrible colds. My fellow resident wrote me a script for antibiotics, and I had it filled at the hospital pharmacy. The pain is actually getting worse, and I'm just hoping the eardrum doesn't rupture at this point (although I'd probably feel better if it did).

Around 2 PM, I finally called uncle and called my chief to tell her that I didn't think I'd make it in tomorrow. I was dragging all day today and honestly couldn't picture another day back at it, and by the tone in my voice (or lack thereof), I think my chief realized that I'd really tried but couldn't make it all day. She called another peds resident in the ER and had him send me home so that I could get some rest.

Now I'm back at home in my spot on the couch, orange juice in hand, waiting it out. Hopefully this will all turn around soon.

1 comment:

Me said...

You sure have had a rough time with getting sick! Hope you're feeling better soon!