Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Travel Size Comfort

My hubby is a frequent traveler, and before we got married, it became a joke among my family that everything in his life is travel size including his wife (we have a 12 inch height difference between us). A little over a year into our marriage, we adopted Sebastian, the best Yorkie ever, so we now have a travel size dog. Prior to getting our dog, I had done a lot of research on breeds and decided that I wanted a terrier; I was scared of having a big dog pulling me behind him down the street, and the terriers seemed to have such great personalities. I had originally selected a Norwich terrier but then found out that these dogs are ridiculously expensive, so our plan changed to a more easily accessible Yorkshire terrier.

Sebastian turned out even smaller than we expected; he still only weighs about four pounds and is small enough to pick up with one hand. Don't let the size fool you though; he is all dog! He loves to hide his puppy treats, and when he thinks someone is intruding on his home turf, he is quick to jump to my defense and growls up a storm. That being said, he's one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. We have 2400 square feet in this house, and he typically wants to be in the two square feet that is my lap. Unless he gets extremely fired up, he almost never barks (no yappy dog for me!), and he somehow always seems to know when I am upset or sad and sticks extra close during those times.

I started getting migraines on my thirteenth birthday. My worst experience with them was a period during the winter of third year of medical school when I got into a bad cycle of headaches and had to take some pretty strong medicine to break them. Since then, I've been blessed to have had the headaches space out, and when they come, they have been easily controlled. Today I worked from home, and this afternoon I was hit with a horrible migraine out of the blue. Many times I have auras before my migraines (vision changes are my normal auras), but I had no warning with today's headache. I put Sebastian outside for a bit and retreated to our dark, quiet bedroom. After about 45 minutes, the worst passed, and I was able to get up and leave the bedroom.

I think Sebastian knew something was wrong when I let him back inside. He's been extra sweet and has been glued to my side ever since I let him inside. Hubby's out of town this week, so it's just me and the puppy tonight. I remember our first year of marriage when I would be all alone during the week when he traveled, but now I have Sebastian. :) He may be just a puppy, but he provides 4 pounds of warm snuggly comfort and keeps me from feeling alone when Hubby is gone. Other dog lovers will understand; he is more than just a dog to me!



1 comment:

Karen said...

hey sarah!! I am so glad that I found your blog!

Sorry you had such a bad migrane. Glad you are feeling better! Cute puppy!!

Karen M