Friday, April 14, 2006

Cohabitation

Two days ago, three very studly fellas helped to move my fiance's furniture into my apartment. This involved three hours of sweating, grunting, and quoting Anchorman among other movies. I felt bad for these guys because I live on the second floor and because there was so much stuff to transport that it took two trips between our homes before we got all the big stuff. I know they were tired and had much more interesting things to do, but they volunteered their efforts and didn't complain once. I think bribing them with chocolate-chip brownies may have helped ease the pain on the return trip, but regardless of that, I am very thankful for their cheerful hearts and strong arms! (My favorite quote of the night from one of the movers: "Is it bad that I want to marry a girl who cusses?")

My apartment is now filled with reminders that I will soon be sharing my living quarters with a guy. Luckily for me, I lived with a guy for a year during college, so I'm a wee bit more prepared than some of my girlfriends for what it might be like. I have no illusions of my fiance waking up in the morning looking like a bright ray of sunshine (although he's such a morning person that this actually is a distinct possibility). The fella I lived with in college used to walk out into the living room in the morning, scratch himself in some rather interesting places, and let out a large rumble from his booty ... all before he'd even uttered a "good morning." Said roomie also never understood the need to replace the toilet paper roll when it was used up; he figured leaving a new roll on the back of the toilet would suffice. Belching was its own category of humor, and dishes were only done if I took care of them. Yes, living with a guy taught me to get over myself and realize that there are better things to fight about than leaving the lid up. The benefits of my new roommate will be far better than the college guy, and since he'll have made a legally binding commitment to me before he officially moves into my place (not to mention the fact that we're in love), I think things will be at least a little different. I'm not asking for much; I just want him to continue to try to remember to leave the seat down!

(Before everyone is just completely shocked out of their minds, the guy I lived with in college was my younger brother. It was a horrible experiment, and we are much better friends now that we don't live together anymore.)

1 comment:

Todd Richards said...

You are very welcome for the help... and the brownies definitly adequate recompense...

A blog update will be forthcoming... you can read it after your honeymoon.