Wednesday, April 19, 2006

ALL things

The title of this entry is SO appropriate. I had just typed out a long post on personality types and letting God work on my weaknesses. Then as I tried to change the font, I somehow erased everything I'd written. My jaw hit the keyboard as I realized what I just did, but instead of getting upset, I just smirked and thought about how appropriate it was.

I've really been seeing my weaknesses come out during this stressful week. I am a planner. There are no two ways around it. I love to plan. I've grown to realize that most things don't work on nearly as strict of a timeline as I would prefer, so I've learned (and am continuing to learn) how to be flexible and adapt as needed. That said, many things seem to have gone not according to plan this week, and I've been getting phone calls today from people telling me 1) "I'm sorry, but that won't be ready at the time we promised" or 2) "I know you have a lot to do right now, but I need some help here." Add that I just found out this morning that my fiance has to stay out of town longer and that I won't see him today afterall, and my love of planning and organization is out the window.

I called my dad this morning as he continues to give wonderful counsel no matter how incoherent I may be when I talk with him, and he reminded me of Romans 8:28. The NASB puts it like this, "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." As I cried to him about how I didn't know if I could do everything asked of me right now and about how things aren't going how I thought they would, he asked me an important question, "Sarah, does God make all things work together or just the things you want?" Ouch. Right where I needed it.

Why do I forget? Why do I try to take control when I'm never really the one holding the reins anyway? I forget that nothing is a surprise to God. He already knows exactly how this weekend is going to unfold, and since He makes all things work together for good, I will exercise my faith in Him. No matter what happens, I want my actions to bring glory to His name. I want to be so calm that when people ask me why I'm not freaking out, I can tell them that it's because God's in control and that I have nothing to fear!

If He watches the sparrows, I know He'll take care of me.

No comments: