Monday, October 08, 2007

A time of renewal

I've been having a pretty rough go at it for the last few months. My patients have been very sick, and I've been separated from my husband much more frequently than I would like. I haven't been "sick" per say, but I have been so much more tired than usual. I have been emotionally drained and haven't felt very "happy" in a while. This has not been an easy time for me.

This weekend was my church's ladies' retreat. I was initially very hesitant about going, but one of the girls from my Sunday School class invited me to stay in her room, so I decided it might be a good idea. I really had no idea what to expect, but I now can see that God was preparing this weekend for me.

Our pastor's mom spoke to us and discussed Romans 12:1-2. The theme of the retreat was "A Time of Renewal," and the Lord used the twenty-two hours I spent in Waxahachie to refresh my soul and meet me in my deepest places of need. He allowed me to deepen relationships with my sisters in Christ and to establish a few new friendships with ladies outside of the typical age range I usually hang out with. He gave me the ability to see my life in a new light and to remember the importance of joy even when trials arise. I was able to return to Dallas with a lighter burden than the one I had brought to the retreat.

The best moment of the retreat came after lunch on Saturday. The main conference room was opened up 30 minutes early to allow us quiet time to pray, read, or meditate on Him. I slipped into the room and curled up in my chair with my head resting on my Bible. As I wept and cried out to Him for myself, my family, my lost friends, my patients, and so many other things, He brought verses to my mind and whispered comfort to my soul. What a sweet and merciful Savior!

No comments: