Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Reflection

Tonight I decided to skip an optional journal club meeting, so Sebastian and I are chilling and doing nothing worthwhile. He's sleeping in my lap while I'm working on wiping out my classic iPod and starting from scratch. Unfortunately my largest CD case is in hubby's car at the airport, but my smaller case with many of my favorite CDs was in mine, so I have decent starting material. I've been enjoying songs I've loved for the last ten+ years, so I felt inspired to fill one of these out.

1. What were you doing 10 years ago? It was October 1997, and I was applying to colleges and going on trips across Texas to figure out where I wanted to be. I was also stressing over my ex-boyfriend (although, as I joke with Hubby, we never officially broke up, so technically ...) and wondering whether or not we should get back together. For the record, we didn't. I had just gotten my driver's license four months earlier and my own car one month earlier, and my braces had FINALLY come off on the same day I got my car. I thought I was the stuff!

2. What were you doing 5 years ago? October 2002 -- I was into my first semester of medical school and FREAKING OUT over anatomy. Yuck. I was also driving almost every weekend to be with a boy who turned out to be bad news. Between studying and driving to see the boy, I didn't have much time for anything else, and I was missing College Station very badly.

3. What were you doing 1 year ago? October 2006 -- I was finishing up my easiest month of intern year (clinic selective) and starting one of my harder months (night float). I was so exhausted and extremely stressed over residency and missing my hubby. I missed Houston so much it hurt! Funny how a place in which I felt so uncomfortable 4 years earlier seemed so much like home.

4. What did you do yesterday? I went to Surgery Clinic and learned about all sorts of surgical problems kids have. Some would gross out anybody non-medical, so I won't give any links. :) Then I went to one of the best stores in the world, Target, and came home to hang out with Sebastian.

5. Snacks I enjoy -- I get on kicks where I will eat certain things over and over and over until I get sick of them, and then I won't touch them for months. The latest passions? Red grapes, pineapple, grill cheese sandwiches, and a glass of milk with a cookie (although I don't eat all those at the same time)

6. Things I would do with $100 million dollars -- Automatic $10 million to my church as a tithe, then extra for missions both abroad and in my hometown. Pay off my student loans, our house, and my car. Take my family and Hubby's family on a trip. Find a family in need and buy Christmas toys for all their children. Save the rest and continue to live our life in a manner much like we live now. It would be nice to not have to pay off my loans and the house, but other than that, I don't think I would want to change much of how we live. God has blessed us with far more than we need.

7. Locations I would run to -- I'd love to go back to Maui with Hubby and take him to Italy and France for his first trip to Europe. We're talking about going to NYC for my first trip there during our vacation in the spring, so I would have to stay I'd go there as well!

8. Bad habits I have -- I bite my nails and do it more when I am nervous. It is so gross, but I do it unconsciously, and that makes it so difficult to stop. I also tend to tune things out when they don't interest me.

9. Things I like to do -- Hang out with Hubby and Sebastian, read, cook, drink a glass of nice wine over a delicious dinner

10. Biggest joy of the moment -- Getting to see my parents this weekend for the first time in ages! I saw them for 1 day at my grandmother's funeral in August, but other than that, I don't think we've spent time together since March. They're going to see our house for the first time since it's been completed and meet Sebastian for the first time. PLUS when they leave on Sunday, Hubby won't be leaving out of town the next day!!! He'll be in town for at least one week -- the first time in eight weeks he won't be getting on a plane on Monday! I am thrilled beyond words. Thursday can't get here soon enough!

1 comment:

Me said...

I'm so glad you are getting some simple joys right now! You sure have been through a lot of hard times to get to them, so enjoy them fully!