Thursday, August 24, 2006

The punchline

I truly believe that God has a sense of humor. He knew I needed a break from work, I'm on the GI (gastrointestinal) service this month ... put two and two together, and six hours after my last post, I woke up unable to keep down anything I'd eaten for the last month. At 5:30 AM, I made the stupid decision to tough it out and go to work, and by 11 AM, I was being sent home since I couldn't even keep down Gatorade. I knew for certain that something was really wrong when I got home and couldn't even stand the thought of watching the Food Network. It's been a Law & Order/Scrubs few days for me; I want NOTHING to do with food!! I took today off from work as well; when I didn't have enough energy last night to stand up for a shower, I knew I wouldn't be any good to be around sick kids today. This afternoon I've managed to eat 2 pieces of toast, and I'm contemplating my dinner choices right now. I have NOTHING bland on hand except bread for more toast, and that just doesn't sound good. Looks like I'll be making a run to the local grocery store for some soup and sugar-free popsicles.

On the bright side, I got more sleep last night than I've had in weeks, and I was relatively unstressed today. I didn't need this virus, but I did reap the benefits of a day and a half off work. I never thought I'd be thanking God for being sick! :)

1 comment:

Todd Richards said...

But for the fact that I am usually cursing life when I am home sick... it is a great way to remind myself that work and the rest of life will go on without me. Some of my best days off have been a result of being forced to lay on the couch and watch movies and Seinfeld episodes. Hope you are feeling better...