Friday, May 05, 2006

Answered prayers

We managed to start the week off in paradise (Maui), return home (Houston), and travel to our new home (Dallas). We're up here right now searching for a place to live. Seeing as I'm going to be both leaving my apartment before 5 AM on some mornings and also driving home from the hospital after not sleeping for over 34 hours, we decided that we wanted to live relatively close to the hospital. This was going to present a little bit of a challenge to find a place that met our budget and our specifications in only two days.

We arrived yesterday and drove around for a bit before starting to visit different apartments and condos. We liked the first place we looked at, but it was definitely out of our price range. The next place we visited was definitely within our range, but it was older and pretty run down. The third place was the same story. The fourth was within our price range but kind of small ... yada yada yada. We were getting tired of checking out places but decided to look at one more before returning to our hotel. The last place was recommended to us by someone from another apartment that didn't have any openings, so we weren't really expecting much.

After a short drive in the opposite direction (which made it seem like a long drive), we arrived at the apartment complex. It looked very nice, so I assumed it would be out of our price range. We proceded to talk to a very dry gentleman in the front office, and he quoted us two different prices for two different units. The lower price was a little above our range, but we figured we might as well take a look at the units. We were then passed off to a very bubbly young woman who drove us around in a golfcart and laughed at my husband's jokes (he was immediately impressed with the place after that). When we walked into the first apartment, I thought to myself, "This must be the larger one; I'm sure we can't afford this." Imagine my surprise when she told us she was showing us the smaller one first! I began to get excited; this place had everything I wanted -- a FABULOUS kitchen, lots of closet space, room for a washer and dryer, and lots of wall space in the living room (my place now has NO wall space in the living room, so the couches are very awkwardly placed). I pulled my husband aside (I actually hid in the closet so the girl wouldn't see me) and whispered, "I really like this place!!" She ended up showing us the larger apartment as well, and I actually liked it a little less.

I could tell that we both liked the place, but we wanted some time to pray and to think about it. After we came back to the front office, we were talking with the girl some more, and she took $50 per month off the rent, bringing it a lot closer to our target price. We left, pretty excited and pretty sure that this was the place for which we had been praying. We decided to keep our appointment in the morning with a woman who was showing us 2 properties, but after viewing those this morning, we looked at each other and headed back to our top pick from yesterday. As we were filling out the lease application, we mentioned our reason for moving up here, and the girl filling out the paperwork commented that this would give us a discount. The discount knocked us just under our target price.

GOD IS SO GOOD!! I could not believe it. We totally did not expect to find a place like this, and I know that it's all because of Him. How exciting to see His hand at work yet again in our lives!!

No comments: