Thursday, August 14, 2008

Miracles still happen

As I've said before, being a physician has strengthened my faith in God and pushed my faith to new limits like no other experience in my life. The intricacies of the human body remind me daily of how fearfully and wonderfully made we are, and I constantly marvel at His handiwork.

The last few weeks in the PICU have reminded me of that so much. We have had many sick patients who have not done as well as we have hoped, but we also have one patient in particular who has overcome incredible odds and is doing so much better than we could have ever predicted. Many people including me as well as many of the nurses and other providers have been praying for this patient diligently, and it's so incredible to see God working and restoring health in front of my very eyes.

Being able to participate in this patient's care has been such an honor. A family member thanked me today for all the work the team has done for this patient, and I was reminded of what I told this patient's mother (a fellow believer) a few days ago: "You know why [this patient] is doing so well, and so do I. God is the one who is healing."

I pray for my patients often, and I want to be more consistent at it. Doing so is a reminder of where my place is and what my role is, and I don't want to allow myself to get so easily caught up in the day to day rush of residency that I can sometimes forget that praying is one of the most important things I can do for my patients. I am simply a tool in the Master's hands, and my earnest hope is that He will use me as He sees fit to bring comfort, healing, or both to many families according to His plan. My post from almost a year ago still rings true in my heart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I know the little girl (patient) and the family you are talking about and I can say for myself and the untold amount of people praying for Life that we greatly appreciate you and the other staff who have cared for them over the past 2 weeks. God bless you!

Lauren said...

(tears run down my face as i write this...)

reading this was like finding a long lost treasure chest. of course i remember you! i think about you almost every week since we brought Life home from the hospital.

thank you so much for being such a warm agent of peace as you walked through our doors in room 12 on PICU there @children's. I will never adequately be able to thank you and all the team that worked on Life, but you were used in amazing ways. God used you to be a part of Life's healing.

There is not a day that goes by where I don't sigh a big "thank you Jesus" for the joy that is Life.

We were at Children's this past weekend cause we had a scare and I was asking about you! We had Dr. Keys and Dr. Sours as our Doctors on the 6th floor. They heard about Life from earlier when she was in the Hospital and we instantly struck up a conversation about how great you are!

I'll never forget you telling me that it is "God who heals." He does... but he also uses people like YOU to make it happen.

I thank God for you and your team daily.

I wish I could give you a big hug! Thanks for checking our blog and checking up on Miss Life. She's the happiest sweetest little person. I want to take her up to Children's soon and drop off a couple pictures of her!

Ok... that's all! Sorry for the huge comment!

MUCH LOVE TO YOU! Lauren