Thursday, June 26, 2008

I still got it!

I worked four hours in clinic yesterday, had a two hour break to run home and back to the hospital, and survived a twelve hour overnight shift in the ER as pit boss. When I got home today, Sebastian wanted to play nonstop, so I only managed to get about three and a half total hours of sleep today. I knew I'd be too tired to put on makeup when I woke up this afternoon, so I did my makeup as soon as I got out of the shower this morning. I don't think the makeup really helped because I still looked pretty scary when I woke up.

I had a hair appointment at my usual place in Coppell at 5 PM, so I had about a 30 minute drive to get there. I stopped for a strawberry shake at Sonic just to keep me full until Hubby gets home tonight, and the sugar rush helped to keep me awake. Whitney, my stylist, said I was "in the zone" and more out of it than normal, but I eventually walked out of there with an AWESOME haircut (pictures to come later when I don't look like a zombie). I stopped at Target on the way home to get dishwashing liquid, and as I was bending over to reach the detergent, I heard a voice behind me say, "Hello."

I looked up to see a young Indian man standing there. This part of town where I had stopped has a large population of recent immigrants from India, and I have worked with a few of them in the past, but I didn't recognize this guy at all. Our conversation proceeded like this:

Guy: "Hello, are you in college?"
Me: "Ha ha ha ... no, very far past it, but thank you for the compliment." (I go back to picking out my dishwashing liquid.)
Guy: "Oh, I am in college." Awkward pause.
Me: "Oh really, that's nice ... where?"
Guy: "I'm getting my associate's at *insert local community college here.*"
Me: "That's great! Good for you." (By now, I have my two bottles and am trying to turn around to walk off.)
Guy: "Do you mind if I ask you out sometime?"
Me: "No, I'm sorry; I'm married. Thanks anyways!" (I bolted out of the aisle as fast as I could at this point!)

I felt bad for the poor guy; I guess he didn't see my wedding ring. It was a nice little boost to the ego though; even sleep deprived, I still got it! ;)

No comments: