Friday, January 19, 2007

I'm not sure what it is ...

Earlier this week I saw snow in Texas for the first time since 1989. I was not in Houston a couple of Christmases ago when it snowed, so I hadn't seen snow since it snowed in December 1989 in Houston. I'm now leaving for work at the fabulous hour of 6:30 (no more 4:45 trips to the hospital for me til I'm a 2nd year!), but it's still dark when I get to work. As I pulled out of the garage one morning earlier this week, some weird white stuff started hitting my car. I called my husband at home (yes, at home!) and warned him to be careful since the roads were iced over and this weird sleet/snow was coming down pretty hard. As I drove for a few more minutes, it lightened up a bit and began to swirl around, and I realized that we had honest-to-goodness snow in Dallas. It was amazing!! I'm such a nerd for getting so excited about snow.

I'm in the Newborn Nursery this month, so I'm taking care of relatively healthy babies by day and then going to deliveries with problems every 4th day and night. It's kind of scary -- some of these babies aren't breathing when they are born, and I'm the only pediatrician in the room! I can call for back-up if I need it, but it will still take the senior resident on call at least 60 seconds to get there, so I really need to know what I'm doing.

In other exciting news, my beloved is home!!!! I didn't believe it until he finally didn't get on a plane Monday morning. It is so weird to come home and know he'll get home several hours after me. It's really hard being on call every 4th night now that he's here and knowing that I'm the one away, but it's so great to see him the following night and not have to wait several days after a rough call night to get a hug from him. He has to go to training on the East Coast for 4 nights next week and will have to go back to California for 2 nights this Spring, but he'll be in Dallas for the majority of the next 3 months. I can't wait to see what marriage is truly supposed to be like!!

1 comment:

Jeanine said...

That's so exciting...the snow (we only had cold rain in Galveston)...the babies...and finally having your husband home for a while. Yay!