Wednesday, March 04, 2009

I love pediatrics

Today I saw five patients in my weekly continuity clinic; 2 of them were my personal patients that I have followed since birth. Both of them turn 2 next month, and I cannot believe how big they have gotten. I adore both of these babies, and I love knowing that I have made at least a little bit of difference in these children's lives. I've been starting to let patients know that I'll be leaving at the end of June, and it has been so touching to have these families tell me that they don't want me to go!

I love watching my patients grow up in front of my eyes. I love meeting new families and establishing relationships. I love being able to teach a new mommy something wonderful about her baby. I love holding a newborn in my arms and feeling their little bodies snuggle down. While I obviously can't fix everything, I love the opportunity to talk to these families about important topics like obesity and diabetes before it's too late.

Three years ago, I wondered if I'd made the right decision when I chose pediatrics. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is where I am supposed to be.

No comments: