Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Tear

I started as senior on a new service on Monday. Last night was my first overnight call; I have five more left of these occurring once every 4 days (with the exception of 5 days off for Christmas), and after 31 hours at the hospital, I'm tired. Despite all the frustrations that occurred, I had a touching experience last night that reminded me yet again why I love kids so much.

Early in the evening, I did an admission on a patient that I hadn't seen since my intern year. I remembered that this patient's mother passed away about 3 weeks prior to our initial meeting, and I knew that Granny was now the primary caretaker. I re-introduced myself to the family including my patient's younger sibling that I had not met previously, and soon the family had me cracking up laughing over how hilarious the kids are. The younger child (who I'm guessing was around age 4 or 5) wanted to be the center of attention and asked me to do an exam with my stethoscope, so since I had a few extra minutes, I complied. As I placed my stethoscope on the sibling's chest, I explained that I was listening to the heart. The sibling looked up at me with beautiful, trusting eyes, and matter-of-factly informed me, "That's where my mommy is."

A lump caught in my throat as I looked up at Granny. She smiled at both of us, and I'm pretty sure she had tears in her eyes. This sweet child exuded such innocence and love; I couldn't resist giving out a hug before I left the room!

No comments: