Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Lack of sleep leads to random thoughts

Cardiology has been a pretty good rotation so far. While my call last Friday was way worse than my PICU calls, the day-to-day work has been easier. My interns are awesome, and I have even had great interns working with me when I'm covering other services! I had another long day at work today but at least got to see some REALLY cute kids in my clinic. I've worked 113 hours in the last ten days and will hopefully only work about 23 more over the next two before getting Saturday and Sunday off (isn't that sad that I just used the word "only" when describing that)?

I couldn't stop yawning while I was talking with my mom on my way home. She even asked if I thought I could make it home without falling asleep! I took an accidental nap on the bed with Sebastian sprawled across my shoulder, and when I woke up, I realized just how hungry I was. I grabbed a handful of ranch-flavored Goldfish crackers to tide me over, and I must have wiped my hand on my pants or something because Sebastian is going NUTS. He keeps trying to lick my pant leg and the spot on the bed where I put my hand down. It's hilarious!

I found out as I was walking out to my car today that another patient with whose care I was very involved passed away yesterday. That's three kids in four days. I didn't expect pediatrics to be this hard.

Hubby and I did some serious shopping this weekend. Several months ago, I lost the mixing blade to our breadmaker, so it's been out of use as I was having trouble finding a replacement part. This weekend I found the entire breadmaker on sale for only several dollars more than the blade alone by the time I factored in tax and shipping. Hopefully I will have time to bake bread again this weekend!!

I'm taking a big step by putting my blog address on my Facebook page. This blog has been a haven for my ramblings and is read by a couple close friends but more by people I wish I knew better (and maybe a few random people as well). I don't really know why I'm motivated to do this. It reminds me of something a friend once told me in medical school: "People just want to be known." Maybe that's part of it; I have a huge shy side (the loud side really is just a big act!), and I often feel like I have to put on a certain face depending where I am. I desire authenticity; I just want to be real.

No comments: