Tuesday, April 01, 2008

I think this was a compliment

Today's conversation occurred after we finished rounding on one of my babies. We proceeded to the next patient in the isolette down the row, but my patient in her open crib was getting fussy. I picked her up, untangled her multiple IVs and tubes, and proceeded to rock her as the nurse practitioner presented her patient. After she finished her presentation, she turned to look at me and my little friend.

My attending: "Sarah, why don't you explain to the nurse practitioner what your patient's condition is?"

Me (a summary) : "She has condition X which only left her with about 25% of her small intestine and about 60% of her colon. She's two weeks old but has only gotten nutrition through her IV. Today will be her first day to try any real food!"

Nurse practitioner: "Oh, that poor poor baby!"

Me: "No, it's okay! Compared to one of my other patients, she's doing awesome! Look at her all wrapped up; you would never know anything is wrong with her. She has good lungs and a good brain; I was just telling her parents last week all the good things she has going for her!"

Nurse practitioner: "Wow, you really are an optimist, aren't you?"

No comments: