Friday, July 06, 2007

No More Driving

This has been by far not my best week ever in the driving realm. On Tuesday I managed to get myself broad-sided by a woman who called me a "f---in' b----" several times even after I apologized for pulling out in front of her. C'mon, it's not like I meant to cause the accident!! I think the police officer actually felt sorry for me because he didn't give me a ticket or anything (which I am very thankful for), but I still feel really horrible about the whole thing. My neck and back are still pretty sore, but they're getting a little better every day. I'm just thankful nobody was seriously injured. Her car was pretty messed up and required a tow (she wouldn't attempt to start it because she was afraid of messing up the engine -- the cop just rolled his eyes at me when that happened), but the trusty old 4Runner is still plodding along with not much more than a bent-up running board an some minor damage to the doors. This baby is a gas-guzzling tank!

I'm spending this block doing a developmental pediatrics rotation at an outside facility, so I usually arrive there between 7 and 8:30 AM, return to my main hospital 15 minutes away for our noon conferences, and then return to the other facility for an afternoon clinic before heading home. Today when I arrived to the hospital for noon conference, I made a special point of putting my keys into my purse so that I wouldn't forget them. I then promptly locked my purse in the car! Our security offered me a coat hanger but nothing else. The locksmith that services the hospital would have unlocked my car for approximately $40 cash only (which I typically don't carry -- I think I only have about $20 or $25 in there right now, and I'm lucky to have that), and all the other places I called would be happy to open my car for the low starting fees of $50 - $75 plus labor in some cases. Being the tight-fisted woman that I am (plus the fact that our electricity bill was through the roof), I knew my hubby was scheduled to be back in Dallas at 5:45 from his jaunt to Houston, so I opted to wait for him to bring me the extra key. Unfortunately thanks to the continued bad weather, his flight has been delayed. I finished my work around 3:30, so I've just been hanging out at the hospital since then. I managed to get in some studying, so that was a positive, but my mind has now officially gone blank. Any further studying is useless at this point, so I'm now just killing time. The website has his plane scheduled to arrive at 6:29, so I figure that he might make it here by 7:15 or so.

In other news, Sebastian is cuter than ever. He is still a handful, but we love him. He's getting better at learning to potty outside but still has occasional accidents. It's been a real challenge to help him want to go outside when it's pouring buckets, but he's getting better. We've had up to 5.5" inches of rain in a single day here, and I've lost count of the cumulative total for June. Today has been drier (at least the hospital), so maybe we'll have a chance to work on the flowerbeds soon. Sebastian is fascinated with the large pieces of bark in the mulch and has taken to running around the yard with bark in his mouth to entertain us.

Did I mention that intern year is over? Life has been pretty swell ever since I danced my way out of the hospital the afternoon of June 23rd. I had eight days in a row off, and we were visited both by my hubby's mom and by my younger sister during our week off. We got the house closer to being unpacked and organized, and we went on my birthday shopping spree with my mom-in-law. During her 2 1/2 days with us, she bought me 2 pairs of Gap jeans and 1 pair of khaki capris, a wrap dress from Ann Taylor Loft (it pains me how much cheaper this dress is now even if I didn't pay for it myself), 2 adorable shirts from Ann Taylor (I can only find one online), a personal bra fitting at Nordstrom with 2 very cute bras (I had no idea what my true size was!), one of the best smelling candles ever, a fun pair of red Nine West shoes, a cute yet practical pair of brown pumps from Dillards, more Fiestaware, and Godiva truffles among other things I'm sure I forgot to name. She also bought the hubby several nice dress shirts, so I wasn't the only one to be spoiled. :) I seriously had never had anyone take me out and say "have fun!" so this was a very new experience. I had to receive encouragement from them throughout the course of the day that I was not being excessive; in fact, my MIL had to steer me away from just the sale racks so that I would open my eyes to other things. We had a great time with her and look forward to seeing her again soon.

To have one of our family members finally at our new house was so cool. We got another treat later in the week when my younger sister came up to visit for a few days. Having room to host guests without stepping on each other every time we move is great!

Well, the hubby just called ... it's 6:45, and he's on his way to get me. Looks like I better get things wrapped up soon so that we can head home! I know Sebastian will be very happy to see us, and I'll be happy not to see the hospital all weekend! :)

No comments: