Monday, July 09, 2007

Contemplative

Today I took our yearly in-training exam that we'll take 3 times throughout residency as prep for our real Pediatrics boards that we take the fall after we finish. 170 questions in, I had enough and lost my drive to keep going (for the record, I did answer all 200 questions). I just wanted to finish and go home! I had good intentions of making a Target run since I was near my favorite Target, but that test sucked all the life out of me, so I *gasp* skipped Target and headed home. After giving my sweet puppy kisses and taking him outside, I immediately headed for the kitchen and whipped up my casserole version of my mom's chicken enchiladas. I made a sour cream-Monterrey Jack cheese sauce from scratch, grilled some chicken breasts that I then shredded, caramelized 2 chopped Vidalia onions, and sliced up some flour tortillas. Then I mixed everything together with the remainder of the MJ cheese and baked in a casserole dish for about 30 minutes. With a side of refried black beans, the meal was perfect, and cooking for over an hour at my own pace without any pressure was amazingly therapeutic.

I'm struggling right now. Hubby's job has taken him out of town for 5 weeks in a row again. He gets the weekends back here, but this is the longest stretch we've done with him being gone for a while. I have Sebastian here to keep me company, but obviously it's not the same. I'm such a quality time person that being apart just hurts. I saw him this morning, but coming home and knowing that it would be dinner for 1 was a sad moment.

On the bright side, the cutest dog ever is staring at me right now ... think he wants to go play outside for a little bit before it gets dark. This Yorkie thinks that he's a Labrador! Seeing him approach other dogs is hilarious because he doesn't realize how small he is. He is a truly wonderful addition to our little family (and a perfect reminder of why I'm not ready to be a mom yet!).


No comments: