Thursday, July 20, 2006

A new world record

There are few things funnier (or occasionally more annoying) than watching my husband try to entertain himself in the car. I'm enjoying a week of vacation right now, so we took a trip for a few days out to the hill country. While there, we relaxed, ate lots of delicious food, and visited several local wineries. We had an absolute blast, but we did spend quite a bit of time in the car. I have a serious problem with any car ride lasting longer than 20 minutes as the rhythm of the road lulls me into peaceful slumber, so my poor lonely husband created ways to keep himself entertained while Sleeping Beauty caught up on her naps. Most of the time he simply browsed radio stations or popped in fabulous CDs (ahhh, Jack Johnson), but his new favorite way to prevent boredom required an empty road and several hills. Yes, he has created a game he calls "Car Coast."

To the best of my understanding, Car Coast involves driving quickly up a hill, building sufficient momentum, and shifting into neutral as the car crosses the apex of the hill. The record for not having to shift back into Drive without dropping below 45 mph was two minutes and thirty seconds and occurred somewhere near Luckenbach. It's sad that I remember this. We came close to breaking that record several times but were foiled -- darn those other drivers making us share the road!

This game made me laugh for the first few times, but by the 50th time, I was really getting tired of hearing it. I swear that my irritation only provided more entertainment for him! I'm thankful that Dallas is relatively flat; it should keep Car Coast at bay for a while.

1 comment:

Me said...

This made me laugh! It's so cute . . . and yet I can totally see how you'd be annoyed after about the 5th time! I was picturing Scott with a silly grin on his face as he played for the 47th time!