Thursday, June 08, 2006

Pizza Hut, the cable guy, and the Taj Ma-Triple B

We're heeee-re! We arrived in Dallas 1 week ago, and we're finally getting settled in. This morning was the first day that I've gotten up and felt at home since we moved into the apartment. I'm sure it had something to do with our mad dash to put things into place before my sister-in-law and her husband came over for dinner last night; there's not a box to be seen in our living room, kitchen, or bedroom! Of course, this simply means that all the unpacked boxes are hiding in our study right now. We still have a good amount of work to do this weekend! Even with more unpacking in sight, I'm still glad to be here.

We've had some really interesting things happen since we arrived. The first night that we were here, we left the boxes in the apartment to hunt for a washer and dryer and also for bedroom furniture, so we had dinner out. The next night, we were in hardcore unpacking mode and didn't want to leave, so we decided to order pizza. I'd actually looked up 2 nearby Pizza Huts before leaving Houston and decided to call the closer one (less than 2.5 miles away). Apparently this Pizza Hut has entered the 21st century; when I called a local Dallas number, I was redirected to a national Pizza Hut hotline. The nice lady on the other end of the phone took all my information and proceeded to tell me the nearest Pizza Hut was about 20 miles away. Lady, this is America, and I'm living in a major city; I know there are more Pizza Huts than that. I gave her the street of the closest store, and she tried to enter my order with them. For some reason, she couldn't do it, so I got passed to Customer Service. Yes, the Pizza Hut hotline has a Customer Service department! At this point, I'd been on the phone for nine minutes trying to order a large pepperoni pizza -- and nothing else. Seriously? The rep with whom I spoke next was nice but tried to tell me that I'd ordered from them before because my phone number was in the system. When I told him I'd been in Dallas for 24 hours, he shut up and changed the info so that I could get my pizza. All in all, it took over 12 minutes to order a single pizza. Insanity.

The same day (last Friday), we had the cable guy coming out to install cable and bring us the cable modem (oh happy day!). He was scheduled to come between 12 and 5 PM, so we made sure we were home the entire time. As it got closer to 3 and we hadn't heard anything from the company, we called to verify the appointment. They assured us that he was on his way and would be there this afternoon. At 5:15, we called again, and they informed us that he wasn't coming because he had not been able to get ahold of us all afternoon. When we asked why he couldn't reach us, it turned out that he'd been using my husband's old work number (which has been disconnected) as a contact number. They didn't give him our new home number which came from the same company or either of our cell phone numbers. They told us that they'd give us a call back to reschedule his appointment time. At this point we decided to give up and order the pizza (which brought about the above story), and after dinner we left to run more errands around 7 PM. We were getting into the car when I realized I'd forgotten something in the apartment. As I was walking up to the door, I saw this guy knock on the door. The cable man had finally arrived! Forgetting that last item turned out to be a God-send; if I hadn't gone back for it, we would have missed him entirely.

The next day was spent taking furniture to my in-laws' place for which we simply don't have room right now and doing more shopping. We found bedroom furniture Friday morning, and now we needed new pillows and a few finishing touches for our bedroom and bathroom. Yes, Saturday was the day that I was introduced to the mother of all Bed, Bath, and Beyond stores (affectionately referred to by my husband and his family as the Taj Ma-Triple B). This place has TWO stories! They had everything we came to buy -- and more. They even had my Betty Crocker Big Red Cookbook that I have seen only online til this point. The workers at this store were incredibly friendly and very willing to help two dressed down twenty-somethings who were looking for pillow covers and other such boring items. Seriously, it was so much fun. I don't know how I'll ever shop at another BBB again. Best of all, we still had gift cards, so we got everything we needed without breaking the bank!

Life is good. I'm going to take a break from sitting in front of the computer in my PJs to sitting in front of the TV with my PJs. I have just about a week til I start my job, and I'm milking the last of my vacation for all it is worth. I may even go eat something terribly bad yet delicious for a late breakfast or early lunch. After all, if you can't splurge on your birthday, when can you? :)

No comments: