Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Roller coaster ride

The last week has been quite a roller coaster ride. On more than one day, I cared for patients who have been the victim of child abuse. I actually started to cry in the ER after one particularly emotional case, and I had to sneak out for a few minutes til the tears stopped and I could compose myself. I hate that these kids are suffering, but I love helping them. I held one for a while during one of my shifts and whispered to this little one that they are loved. Who knows if this child had ever heard that before? The very thought broke my heart.

In stark contrast to those awful experiences, yesterday held an amazing moment for me where I sat down with a family and talked over a diagnosis that I correctly identified after two other outside physicians had missed it. I loved being able to provide reassurance to these parents, and 15 minutes after we started talking, the mom thanked me and proclaimed, "I feel 100% better; I think I'll actually be able to sleep tonight." When I left their room for the last time, I felt a serious sense of accomplishment. While I was proud that my knowledge base had expanded enough that I knew the correct diagnosis, I was even more thrilled that I had been able to connect with these parents and relieve their anxiety. They trusted me, and as I was talking with them, I realized just how much I love this part of my job!

I have been given a huge responsibility and a huge gift at the same time. What a thrill!

1 comment:

Holly said...

Wow, what a difficult job you have! I think I would have started to cry too, if I had been dealing with that!

You are right though, it's a massive responsibility, but definitely worth it. :)