Monday, November 12, 2007

Nice surprise

Earlier today I began an entry on my experience this weekend as I watched the aftermath of a horrible tragedy that resulted in a young child dying in his mother's arms. I was not there for the end due to duty hour rules, but I was there for the beginning. It was so horrible that I pray no one else ever has to go through this. I recognize that we unfortunately live in an imperfect world, and this terrible scenario will likely play out again in that same unit time after time.

That said, I'm not ready to deal with the emotions that this experience is evoking. Instead, I've decided to blog about the happier side of the last three days.

Saturday I left the hospital and came home to Hubby. It was the first time I'd seen him since Sunday night (technically I saw him Monday morning, but I was half asleep, so it doesn't count), and boy was it good to be in the same house with him.

Sunday I had to go to work, and I had a SICK patient. She was a complete mystery to multiple teams, so I ended up staying in the PICU hours later than I had planned. I didn't have an official breakfast that day, and my lunch consisted of a cold piece of pizza I ate as I left the hospital at 2:45 that afternoon. The upside of Sunday? My dad was in town, so we picked him up and had a delicious dinner at Cantina Laredo.

Today I slept ten hours straight -- glorious. I had a meeting with my program director at 3, so I left the house after lunch to run some errands before the meeting. I'm asking for new jeans for Christmas, so I dropped into my favorite store for jeans to try on a pair. To my extreme pleasure, I have dropped a jean size!! I noticed that my jeans had been quite loose lately, so today's dressing room revelation came as an expected but pleasant surprise. After I got home, I made a HUMONGOUS batch of fudge and 2 loaves of pumpkin spice bread. Now I'm preparing to watch my favorite TV show, Heroes. Life is good! :)

No comments: